FK in Google docs

Discussion, questions and support.

FK in Google docs

PostPosted by tpha@plen.ku.dk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:39 pm

I am a beginner in this .. but got started in order to use FastKeys for getting latin species names formatted in italic into a text easily, through the text expander.

I can get it to work in MS word, but in Google docs it only works if i use plain text. This is annoying as there seems to be no other way of substituting phrases with italic in that environment.
If i define a rich text expansion (eg. bv for B. vulgaris, it seems that the text is entered into the document but erased again immediately, so fast that i cannot see what is happening. If i do the same with plain text it works fine, but i will then need to do a series of search/replace afterwards to change all the entries to italic...

What is wrong? is it a setting in googl docs i need to change to allow entry of rtf text? Or can i do something to get it to work in FK?

Many thanks in advance !

Thure

Re: FK in Google docs

PostPosted by Tom » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 am

Could you try increasing Paste Delay in Preferences/Text Expander/Advanced and see if it helps?

PostPosted by tpha@plen.ku.dk » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:09 am

Increasing paste delay does not work - but if I select the "use clipboard for rich text" (in advanced text expander preferences) it inserts the text i want - but this time with no formatting - even though i have formatted the substitute text in RTF ??

Other suggestions are most welcome :-)

PostPosted by Tom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:36 am

For "Use clipboard for rich text" option to work, you need to enter your individual substitute definition again and save it. Let me know if it works.

PostPosted by tpha@plen.ku.dk » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:55 am

unfortunately it doesnt - i get the substitution but with no formatting...

However, when i try the same substitution in MS Word, it does add the formatting (italic), but also a line/paragraph break right after the substituted text plus an empty space .... which is not what i want - i want a simple substitution within a parapraph... (had the same problem with one of the other text expander softwares and dropped it for that reason).

Hope you can help :-)

Site Admin

PostPosted by Marko » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi Thure, I tested it in Google Docs and there is an issue with recognizing rich text format indeed. We will test it further to see if this could be resolved.

But in your case there is a simple workaround as you don't need to send rich text - you can simulate the key presses instead (Ctrl-I or ^i in FastKeys). Just use Non formatted text and make the following substitute:
Code: Select all
^iB. vulgaris^i

PostPosted by tpha@plen.ku.dk » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks, Marko... but i am not sure how to use your code: where in FK do i set up the substitution? i cant find it - and am a beginner in this...
Thure

Site Admin

PostPosted by Marko » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:09 pm

- create Text Expander module
- press "New" to create a new item
- set String to "bv"
- set Type to "Send"
- set Substitute to "^iB. vulgaris^i"
- press OK and then Save.
:)